From the School Nurse
There have been a few cases of head lice in your child’s class Nursery and Reception. I would like to give you some reminders regarding the prevention and treatment of head lice.
It is extremely important for you to check your child’s head TODAY.
Keep checking every 2 days until there are no head lice found for 10 consecutive days. (There are some good photos on the internet of lice and nits)
The best way to prevent transmission:
- Teach children not to share combs, brushes, hair ornaments, hats etc.
- Conduct regular head checks of your child.
If head lice are found on your child:
- Check others in the household for signs of head lice or nits. If found, complete remaining steps on all infested individuals.
- Use an effective head lice treatment like Licener, ParaNix or Apaisyl Expert following the instructions carefully.
- Remove nits from the head by combing with a “NIT COMB.” The metal ones are better than the plastic.
- Remove all of the lice and nits from the environment by washing the child’s bedding and personal clothes in 60oC water and carefully vacuuming all areas of the house.
- Perform daily head checks and remove nits for 3 weeks until head lice are gone.
- Continue to check your child weekly to detect possible infestation.
- Preventative sprays are available from the pharmacy.
- There are some hair salons that can help you with the removal of head lice.
- Notify the school if your child is found to have head lice.
If you have difficulties treating the head lice on your child or have any questions, please contact me at school.
Konstantina Konstantopoulou RN, MSc
Tel: 210 607 1755